Grow by Serving
Passionate about "Hands-on Outreach"
Good Shepherd members have a strong commitment to reaching out and enjoy serving others in the local community and forming partnerships to help people in need.
As you can see from the long list in the columns to the right, there are many ways for you to get join in. But, don't be overwhelmed. The Lord works in many ways and every one of us is needed to serve with his or her special gifts.
How can you get Involved?
Find a Project
- Men's Shelter Ministry - Sign-up (enter email@example.com as List Creator) to help provide dinner twice a month for homeless men
- Community Based Shelter - 3 meals daily for one week in March for 30 female residents
- Gaithersburg HELP - Weekly food collection for this pantry
- Germantown HELP - Peanut Butter and Jelly drive in June
- The "Lord's Table - Prepare and serve dinner monthly every 4th Monday, Sept-March
- Greeting Cards for Prison Ministry
- Toiletries for Shelter Residents
- Cancelled Stamps - National Lutheran Home
- School Supplies - Interfaith Works, July/August
- "Just Come" Disaster Relief Trips - helping natural disaster victims across the country
Youth Serving Others
- Good Shepherd is an authorized "work site" for Montgomery County Public Schools' SSL hour requirements in most cases.
Find a Project (con't)
- Souper Bowl Sunday - vote for your "winning" team with cans of soup
- Housing Benefit Concert and Raffle - Good Shepherd showcases its talent each February
- Thanksgiving in February - Dine out, restaurants give 10-20% of proceeds to food pantries
- Gaithersburg Holiday Giving Program, provides food/gifts for low income families, Nov/Dec
- Quilters/crafters, Sundays - Women crafters making items for organizations such as Wounded Warriors, Save the Children, schools in 3rd-world countries
- SERRV - Adults and youth trips to New Windsor for day projects
- Gifts of Hope - Alternative giving program for needy around the world, December